Fabrics & Textiles
FAQ | Sewing curtains free of charge
Custom made curtains at no extra charge are especially popular among end customers. You only pay for the linear meters of the fabric! Per curtain we need and surcharge 15 cm seam. Retailers pay a small service charge, see pricelist.
Which service is for free?
- Curtains with a heading tape on top and a lead weight at the bottom.
- Curtains with a drawstring on top and a lead weight at the bottom.
- Ideally, the curtains have a rectangular shape. However, we also try to sew other shapes or wishes (e.g. hook-and-loop fasteners) upon request without any extra charge!
- Curtains with several loops are not free of charge. If you are interested, we would be pleased to make you an individual offer.
Our shielding fabrics have widths from 130 cm to 260 cm. We can use the width either as height or width of a curtain. As regards width, about 8 cm will be lost due to the edging. As regards height, about 15 cm will be lost due to the heading tape and the lead weight. Consequently, width and height of a fabric depend on the fabric width! Example: If you want to cover an area of 400 cm (width) x 230 cm (height): 1) With Naturell you need 4.0 linear meters (LM) as the 250 cm of the Naturell are sufficient for the required height of 230 cm. 2) With Silver-Tulle you need 6.9 linear meters for 3 curtains. If you need assistance in calculating the measures of your curtain(s), we will be pleased to help you!
Front side / Back side
Some fabrics (e.g. Silver-Twin, Steel-Twin) have a light front side and a dark back side with metal threads. By default, the light side faces the room. Please let us know if you would like to hang the fabric the other way round.
Dimensions / Size accuracy
We understand your stated dimensions as final dimensions (sewed curtains incl. heading tape or drawstring, hemmed edges, etc.). If you wish drapery you should add 20-50 % for the width! For most fabrics we achieve a size accuracy of +/- 2 cm. Stretchy fabrics (e.g. Silver-Tulle, Perspective) are more difficult to sew, size accuracy can be up to +/- 5 cm!
Best possible shielding
As a general point, it should be noted that shielding as such is more important than a perfect optic!
- Curtains must cover the complete window, window sill included. In front of doors they must contact the floor! Only in this way will it be possible to achieve a continous shielding as unshielded gaps will be covered also.
- Always cover window apertures in such a way that the walls next to them are covered as well (20-40 cm). Only if the inner wall shielding (e.g. shielding paint) overlaps with the shielding fabric you will achieve a good result.
- If possible, curtains are to be put up with only little distance to the wall. The larger the gap, the more electromagnetic radiation may get through it.